Thursday 8 March 2012

At one with Nature

IMG_0990

Leading on from my last post, I want to make a ‘Creature’ costume for the Papercut Mag competition that I’m working with Deborah Selwood from Gecko Studios.

One of the categorises is ‘Animal instincts’. I want to make a horned headdress and a feminine huntress costume.

I like the idea of the hunted being the hunter, so want quiet a feminine feel to a hard material. I’ve decided to use heavy Veg-Tan leather which I normally use for leather armour and to make the outfit  look more natural . I also am planning to use the curly Goat horns I made for the Horn Tutorial (see older posts) for the headdress.

I’ve started to make leather leaves for the costume

After spending an afternoon playing around with leather I came up with this :-

IMG_0989

 

They are quite time consuming to make and after cutting out 50, both Ruth and myself can barely move our fingers, also I now have so many cuts on my hands I look like I’ve been bareknuckle fighting Smile

 

IMG_0994

 

I found a pretty leaf which I liked the shape of and used it as a guide.From that I drew a template on tracing paper,

IMG_0984IMG_0978

Wet the leather and traced the design onto it then cut out the leaf blank.

IMG_0995IMG_0991

 

Tooled the veins and on some of the leaves added shading, so they all looked slightly different.

I then moulded the shape by manipulating the leather with my fingers and then allowed it to dry overnight (patience is definitely not my virtue)

IMG_0979IMG_0996

I then painted/dyed the leaves with leather dye and then oiled and polished them

IMG_0987

 

And Daa! Daa! Daa!

 

425602_10150573404627061_535842060_9519588_364634687_n

OK…… I’d like to say I’m finished but I only have 15 completely finished. Only 35 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment